How to do App Store Optimization?
If you own an app or you are at the point of developing any app, then it necessary for you to know aboutapp store optimization or ASO in short. ASO is basically optimization of mobile apps to get higher search results in the app store, it is more like SEO. The basic difference is that ASO is only related with app optimization while SEO is mainly website optimization.
As mentioned above, app store optimization helps you in gaining higher ranking in app store/play store. There are more than 3 million apps listed on the app store, so the competition is really neck-to-neck. As per statistics, 47% of iOS users and 53% of Android users find and download the app they are seeking through app store searches. It brings the importance of ASO to light undoubtedly.
App Store optimization includes few specifications for designing and aligning the app properly and those are:
- Keyword Optimization
- Title Optimization
- Description Optimization
- App Screenshots
- App Icon
- App Preview Video (if yes)
- App Pricing
- Necessary Updates
- Reviews & Ratings
There are underlying points while determining the keywords.
- Relevance: Make sure that keywords overlap with your purpose and core functions.
- Competition: Target being at top 10 for any keyword. To achieve this, track your rankings and ignore ones which don’t give you high traffic volume. Don’t forget to look at competitor’s rankings.
- Volume: You can target high volume keywords as well as keywords that have lowest competition. There are multiple synonyms or similar keywords. You can pick the one that has the highest volume.
- Keyword ranking which lets you see top 100 app rankings for your specific keywords.
- Keyword researchshows the ranking i.e. top 100 keywords for specific word.
- Keyword suggestions which gives potential keywords related with your seed keywords.
App Title Optimization
As per research, having keywords in the title boost your ranking up to 10.3%. App store algorithm is in a proper format, they scan the app name to match the keyword in its title and the keyword a user searches. If your app name includes the search keyword in title, it gets high priority in rankings.
While adding an app name, keep it short and simple. Then design your app name with a few keywords.
- Google Play Store allows maximum of 50 characters.
- iOS App Store allows maximum of 30 characters.
- iOS App Store lets you add a subtitle appearing under your app name. It was introduced with iOS 11. Again the limit is max 30 characters.
- Apple uses your app name while creating the URL of app, so avoid using any special character.
App description is basically highlighting the features and benefits of your app. While writing an app description, it would be better if you try to understand about your potential users. Read the app description with their point of view (as a user). Or you can have a look on different kind of apps to get an idea like what all bullet points are to be mentioned (mandatory type).
The character limit of short description is 255 which can be transformed up to a few sentences for iOS App Store while 80 characters for Google Play Store. So, try to give the underlying and attention-grabbing values of your app. It creates the first impression.Then under expanded description you need to add bullet points, social proofs, awards, and mentions about you or anything else.Both app stores have a limit of 4,000 characters for the full description.
Now, I am listing few important points of both app stores to keep in mind while doing app optimization:
Google Play Store
- No metadata review process
- Can change description anytime
- For name of app 50 character limit
- Keywords to be mentioned in the title and description
- Social and links affects ranking
- Metadata requires approval
- Can only change description with new update
- 30 characters in app name and 30 characters in subtitle
- Specific 100 character keyword field
- Social and links don’t affect rankings